Thursday, December 22, 2011

A "Homemade Christmas" ... take 5!

I really wanted to have this up for y'all last week, but... life happens! As most of my readers know, I am expecting! Last week, I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes...BOO! Gimme a break, right before Christmas, are you kidding me!?!? Well, needless to say I had to make some changes & fast.... tests and appointments and classes...oh my! Really put a cramp on my "crafting!" If you are looking for something last minute & homemade there is still time... I promise, I'm still making my gifts!

You have probably come across this recipe during the season or you may even remember it from when you were a kid. Salt dough ornaments! These are so simple to make & they don't take that much time at all. I know this because, I had less then 5 hours on Tuesday, to make my GIANT Cub Scout den their annual Christmas Ornament! Whew! Kneading all that dough was quite a work out! I also like to make this for my kids to play with, while I'm trying to get other stuff done! It keeps them busy forever, it's completely non-toxic, & I love anything that requires them to use their imagination!
Ok, so... Here's what you need:
-Flour
-Salt
-Warm Water
-Oil
Yupp... that's it! Here are the measurements I use; but you are can alter it to make as little or as much as you need! I mix 1c. salt with 1 1/2c. warm water & about a tablespoon of oil. You don't have to add the oil, but it does make a big difference in how easy the dough is to work with.  I let that sit for a few minutes for the salt to begin to dissolve. If you would like to make your dough colored... now is the time to add the color. I will let you know, that it takes A LOT of food coloring at this point to get the dough any TRUE color. I recommend painting them after you are done instead. But never the less I have done it both ways, to each their own! In another bowl I put 4c. of flour & then add the salt mixture to that. Mix well, put your hands in it & knead it...if it's too sticky, add some more flour... if it's too dry & crumbly, add some more water (little at at time)

Now you're ready to rock & roll! At this point you can either hand if off to the kids to play with, along with some cookie cutters; Or, you can make your own ornaments! I can play with this stuff for hours! As always, your imagination is the limit. Just remember the thicker you make the ornament, the longer it will take to dry! So, if time is a factor at this point (3 days before Christmas!) then you should probably consider making snowflakes rather than snowmen!!! Once you have finished your design you can put them in the oven on a cookie tray at 200*. This process can take anywhere from 1-3 hours. When they are done you can paint them & then either apply a layer of white glue or clear paint to help protect them!


Another version of this dough is to add spices. Like cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, etc. This makes the dough smell amazing.... but it also colors the dough brown. I love to make my "Gingerbread People" ornaments out of this or a "stamped"/"mold" ornament. You can use anything as a stamp! If you like the design, stamp your ornament with it!
I have more projects to complete today-- I better get to it so I can share them all with you!

3 comments:

  1. How did you get the wolf picture on the ornament? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I would like to know too? Did you order those separate or make this too? So cute! I'm looking to do some for my Tiger Scouts!

    ReplyDelete