Thursday, December 8, 2011

A "Homemade Christmas" Part Deux (***UPDATED 9/30/13)

I said that I was going to be posting a few projects under this title, well I've been slacking! So here is part 2 of the series--hoping to have part 3 up sometime later today. If you are looking for a nice gift for someone, but don't have a lot of money to spend, here's your answer! Hand & Body scrubs. These are so easy to make & you can usually find just about everything you need in your own kitchen! If not, than the local dollar store is a great place to check for supplies. These are so great because, besides being SUPER cheap to make, they can be customized for everyone on your list. Now, I know you might be thinking that these are just for "girls", but let me tell you... after my husband has been working on the car, the first thing he uses when he comes in is the hand scrub! Everyone loves it!

Like I said you can purchase anything you don't have at a local $1 store...
Using these supplies that I purchased for $4 you can make 2 containers worth of Scrub! Add an extra buck, if you purchase the container. You will want to get something with a pretty air tight seal to it. Because these scrubs are made from 100% natural ingredients they will spoil if not kept properly. If you keep it in a container like this, your scrub should last about 6 months! I have put them in other containers that aren't quite so airtight, such as old coffee cans or something like that, to put by my kitchen sink. That works just fine, if it's a "high traffic" area. The product gets used so quickly, it really doesn't have time to go bad.


White & Brown Sugar Mix

Finely Ground Coffee
The first thing you need is the "grit." My favorites are finely ground coffee (no, you cannot use instant!), salt, sugar (white or brown), and oatmeal! There are certainly other things that you could use, these are just the ones that I have experimented with!

The next thing you need is an oil. You can use olive oil, but sometimes the smell can be very overpowering-- so the lighter the better. You can also use vegetable oil, but you would really only want to use that for a HAND scrub, as it can clog pores if used all over the body. Both of these can be found at the $1 store. If you want to use a carrier oil that is a little nicer for all over body, you can use sweet almond oil, palm kernel, apricot oil, grapeseed-- the list goes on and on. I purchase my oils from Abe's Market. I found this natural market through a Living Social or Groupon deal, and I LOVE them! You can also purchase a lot of different oils from Amazon.
Use enough oil to make the mixture nice & mushy.

You can add a fragrance if you would like,but most of the ingredients you will be using have their own unique fragrance & you don't want to make anything overpowering. I add cinnamon to a lot of the combinations I make, just because it's complimentary to a lot of things & I LOVE cinnamon!  You can use vanilla, lemon, peppermint, orange, or almond extracts. You can add some grated rind of a citrus fruit, tea leaves, or even honey (which is a great skin softener!)

So, you've got grit, oil, & a scent if you so chose...that's it! Mix it all together until you have a really nice mushy consistency & you're good to go! Tie a nice ribbon around the top & add a some type of scoop tied to that. Usually I just use a wide wooden craft stick, but you can use a nice spoon or scoop you find at the thrift store! Make sure that you include a nice little tag on your gift, that warns how slippery the tub or shower can get after use... you don't want anyone breaking their neck, due to your awesome gift! Experiment! Your imagination is the limit!

Here is the scrub I made today... it's one of my favorites, "Cinnamon Brown Sugar!"
-1 cup Brown Sugar
-1 cup White Sugar
-1/2 cup Carrier Oil
-Cinnamon

 Another one of my favorites is "Coffee House Scrub."
-1 cup Finely Ground Coffee ($1 section at Target has great ones!)
-1/2 White Sugar
-1/2 cup Carrier Oil
-Cinnamon

"Lemon Drop"
-1 1/2 cup White Sugar
-1/2 cup Carrier Oil
-Grated Lemon Rind
-Lemon or Vanilla Extract

None of these measurements need to be exact. Just play with it!
***UPDATE 9/30- Hey y'all! Just wanted to pop in with a quick update! I see that my pin for this post has been pretty busy! (AWESOME!)  I still love this recipe, BUT I love it even more when I replace the carrier oil with Coconut Oil! LOVE this stuff, I use it for everything! So, just warm the coconut oil to room temp & use the same amount as if it were oil. The coconut oil will solidify when it gets cooler. Happy Crafting! 




Lemon Sugar Body Scrub - C.O. Bigelow - Bath & Body Works
$20



$4

No comments:

Post a Comment