Monday, December 5, 2011

Are you a "Thrifter"?

I wanted to share some exciting news with all of you today. Over the weekend, I found the MOST amazing deal at one of our local thrift stores. A DRYER!! Now, I know that that may not sound very exciting to some of you, but believe me, it is!! Prior to this weekend, it took me about 140 minutes to dry a load of clothes!Making laundry extremely time consuming & my electric bills ugly. Well, $49.99 later I have an awesome "new" dryer!  And I just dried a load of clothes in 31 minutes! LOL
Now, my point of sharing my exciting news with you isn't really "Look at this awesome deal I got!!" But more, do you know what awesome deals YOU can find at our local thrift stores!?! The reason I got this so cheap was because it had no plug with it, so they couldn't test it out to even see if it worked. Well, for $50 I was willing to take the risk. I knew at the very least I could sell it for parts and make my money back even if it didn't work. But thank the Lord, it does & I LOVE it!  There are so many deals to be found at the thrift store...and at the same time so many overpriced items. But guess what? If it is overpriced this week, it will be reasonable next week, and a STEAL the week after that! My philosophy at the thrift store is, "Do NOT impulse buy on any item over $4.98!" Ok, so I didn't follow that rule this past weekend, but for good reason. I can't count how many times, I have picked something up & said "Wow, I really like this! But I'm not paying THAT price!" More often then not, I come back the next week & it is marked down.

We have two little boys & are expecting our first baby girl! Well, we have nothing, or I should say HAD nothing, for a little girl, around this testosterone dominant domain! So, I've been hitting up the local thrift stores looking for a few things. About $40 in, I have enough summer clothes for her to fill up a dresser! All the clothes I have gotten are in EXCELLENT condition & marked down as low as $.45!! Why in the world would I buy the same thing for $5 or $10! The key to getting such good deals on clothes, is to shop the opposite season. I am looking for summer clothes right now; while everyone else is buying winter. It can be difficult to gauge what size your child might be in, but I pick a slightly larger size & it usually always works out.

My children & I are perfectly fine wearing something that has already been a little "loved." But not everyone is comfortable with "recycled" clothing and that's fine too. There are many other deals to be had as well. A few weeks ago, I got a bag of 8 BRAND NEW Bath  Body Works hand sanitizers for $3! That's the price of one bottle in the actual store! I will use them as stocking stuffers & gift toppers. They always have a huge assortment of pictures & frames that can be re-purposed; sometimes for a little as $.15! Stay tuned for a "Homemade Christmas" project later on today with my thrifty finds!

No comments:

Post a Comment